My dreams take me to the wierdest places—sometimes good, sometimes bad—but there are some of them I just don't want to forget. So good or bad, they go here. My dreams take me on a journey into the farthest parts of my mind. If I can figure out what they mean, maybe I can understand myself a bit better. You are more than welcome to take this journey with me, but don't judge what you read. Remember, it was just a dream.

That said, a lot of these dreams have at least one part of them that would be great in a story. Some of them would make amazing stories all on their own, so I do get a lot of writing inspiration from these pages. Maybe one day you'll read one of my stories and know exactly which dream inspired it!

Friday, April 19, 2013

Bullying at the School of Warcraft

This dream was kind of fun really. At least at first. It should have been more fun, considering how I was laughing through at least half of it. Or was I? Even I'm not sure about that.

I was attending a school of some sort... all taking place in my favorite game, World of Warcraft. I believe it WAS the game, in a way. I was a druid, learning about the art of shapeshifting, how to work with nature to perform intense healing spells, and how to devise energy from the sun and moon to weave powerful offensive attacks. My best friend, Bree, was a rogue; she was taught the ways of the shadows and how to remain unseen even in daylight, how to create deadly poisons to apply to her blades, and a perfect knowledge of anatomy to ensure her dagger never missed its mark. We were already at the top of our classes. We knew almost everything there was to know, and were at the highest levels of learning. There was something new in the lesson plans, however.

There was a new class forming, about space. Not just the universe itself, but a new gathering of dust and clouds and swirling mists that no one understood. There had been four full books written about it, in a small mini-series, and copies were flying off the shelf as everyone rushed to learn all about this phenomenon before attending class. I had ventured over to the library to pick up a copy myself, though I only got about halfway through the first book (in the course of about three minutes) and had to stop because class would be starting soon.

Bree was supposed to be in class with me. It was to take place in the Shrine of Seven Stars, upstairs to the left in a small room just before the portal room. It was extremely well-lit, with desks and chairs and an old-fashioned chalkboard. The teacher's desk sat at the front of the room, and it seemed to be your typical school setting. I was the first to arrive, and seeing no one else around, I went in search of Bree.

I knew many places she might have been. I thought that perhaps she would be completing a quest, and I would most likely find such a quest on a Hero's Call Board. I decided the fastest way to find her would be to pick up the quest myself. Unfortunately, out in the Shrine, I had no idea where a Call Board might be. I jumped off the side of a balcony, shapeshifting into a large bird as I did so, and glided down to the lower levels of the building. There was a small garden here, with what I thought would have been a Call Board, but had no quests for me. I was lucky enough to run into the King of Stormwind, and being as well known for my deeds as I was, I was able to talk to him and he directed me to Stormwind, where he knew there would be a quest for me on the Call Board there. I thanked him and turned back into my natural human form (though in the game I am a night elf). I pulled a small cloak out of my bags and set it about my shoulders, feeling a certain power emanating from the runes embroidered into it with magick. I held my hands up in front of me, and felt energy running through my entire body, and I felt myself willing it to coalesce into a portal between the lands. The energy was coming from the cape, I knew, allowing me to teleport myself to Stormwind (typically only mages had the knowledge of teleportation, but being as crafty as I was, I had my ways around). In the blink of an eye and a sudden burst of heat, I was standing in the mage quarter of Stormwind. I removed the cape, put it away, and headed to the Call Board of the trade district.

Here, I found the quest she must have accepted. It wasn't a hard one, but had a decent gold reward, so I quickly completed it and used my Hearthstone to teleport me back to the Shrine. The teleportation was much the same as with the cape, but the energy this time emanated from the stone.

The turn in was to the King himself, and as I arrived and flew down to the garden again, there she was, my Bree, talking and laughing with the king. Turning into myself once more, I turned in my quest and reminded Bree of our class. She said she knew, and had just one last task to complete before she headed that direction. I wished her luck, then turned to head up the stairs towards the classroom. Smiling and waving, we parted. She used her rogue abilities to stealth into the shadows, and even having been around her for years, after such a distance even I couldn't tell where she had gone.

Back at the classroom, other students were beginning to arrive as well. A few were talking about one boy in particular, who they knew had already read all four books and was most likely the most well-read one of us all. A few of us wondered if he would be attending the class at all, knowing all that he did. One boy in the front row stated that he would in fact be showing up, in three, two, one... and right at that moment, the very boy we had talked about walked in the door. It was amazing.

I went and sat in my seat, waiting for class to start and waiting for Bree. The chairs began to fill, the teacher entered and sat at his desk waiting for the bell, and I stood up and poked my head out the door to see if she was nearby. Not seeing her, I walked back towards the chairs just as the bell rang. A few minutes passed and the teacher still sat at his desk, seemingly oblivious to his class. I wondered out loud where she could be, and the same boy in the front row stated that she would be arriving in three, two one... and right at that moment, she walked in. I was excited that the kid was so intuitive (or psychic?) and me and Bree rushed towards each other laughing and hugging and just glad to both be in the same place again.

We sat at our desks, and everyone was waiting patiently for the teacher (though everyone was talking, of course). Bree and I were in the same row, but she was a few seats ahead of me. We were having our own conversation, and at one point she said to me, "I got your back." So the boy behind me, out loud for the entire class to hear, says "If she's got your back, I'll get your front..." and holds his hands out around my shoulders and in front of me, making squeezing gestures without actually touching me. The entire class was all staring now and laughing hysterically. I chuckled along with them, with a look of amusement on my face, shaking my head as if to note that it would NEVER happen.

But then the boys continued to make jokes. He continued to say annoying, sarcastic, perverted comments, aimed at me, and those comments slowly became condescending and hurtful. I was being targeted for all these hateful things, being called names and made fun of for nearly everything about myself. It got old REALLY fast, and I was no longer amused. Unfortunately the entire class was still laughing, some of the students jumping up and down, some of them yelling and motivating him to continue on with this degradation. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of the class any more than he had already done for me, so I just smiled and laughed along with everyone else, though I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Before long, I was crying. But as long as that smile remained on my face, it was as if no one could tell the difference. Or, no one cared to see it for what it really was.

After what seemed like an hour of torture, the teacher stood up and announced when our next class would be, and said that when the bell rang in a few minutes we could leave. I don't know what kind of class he was trying to teach where he sits back and lets a student get picked on right in front of him... but all the same, I was ready to get out of there. Bree went over and talked to the teacher, and I could tell that whatever was being said was making her angry. The bell soon rang and the rest of the class bustled to get to their next destinations. Bree and I stayed behind for a few minutes and I asked her what happened. She was explaining, as we slowly walked down the hallway, how she had gone to the teacher to ask if she had been marked as late to class and if there was anything she could do to change that. The teacher had flat out told her that he marked her as absent, and that there was nothing she could do. She was pissed off, and I could tell by looking at her daggers that she was planning something. She had them enchanted with spells that would help her strikes do more damage than the blades would do on their own, and I noted a fresh coat of poisons on the tips. She said she had some attendance logs to attend to, and as I chuckled at her pun, she wrapped herself in darkness, and I caught one last glint of light reflecting off a blade before she disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving a Techie Genius Con Artist

In this dream, the techie man I had been so in love with looked and sounded exactly like Alec Steele, the blacksmith. It was pretty amazing....