My dreams take me to the wierdest places—sometimes good, sometimes bad—but there are some of them I just don't want to forget. So good or bad, they go here. My dreams take me on a journey into the farthest parts of my mind. If I can figure out what they mean, maybe I can understand myself a bit better. You are more than welcome to take this journey with me, but don't judge what you read. Remember, it was just a dream.

That said, a lot of these dreams have at least one part of them that would be great in a story. Some of them would make amazing stories all on their own, so I do get a lot of writing inspiration from these pages. Maybe one day you'll read one of my stories and know exactly which dream inspired it!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Racing up the Mountain

This one was actually from Friday, but I didn't have the chance to type it up till today.

In the dream, me and my friend Shawn were racing. My friend Chris was there too, but it was like I knew he wasn't seriously racing with us. Our goal, as far as I knew, was somewhere in a mall, or just past a mall, but to even get to the mall we had to hike up a mountain and cross a very high-up bridge.

We were all taking different paths to reach the top of the mountain. I am not a very good hiker, and Shawn was practically a professional (at least, he was in the dream). But somehow, I was in the lead. I guess I had found the perfect path-- it was a direct route from base to peak with a minimal incline.

We had these GPS tracking devices, though I'm not sure where they were on us, but they allowed us to track each others positions. Chris was still at the base of the mountain, intrigued by something he had seen or found and was more interested in whatever it was than in climbing the mountain. Shawn, on the other hand, was working very hard to reach the top.

We also had some way to communicate with each other, but it wasn't exactly obvious how. All i know is that no matter how far apart we were, we could hear each other as if we were standing next to each other.

I had reached the top of the mountain, where all paths came together. There was one last milestone before reaching the bridge to the mall. It was a small cliff side, with a narrow stairway cut into it. The steps were a foot apart from each other, so with every step I could look down into a deep gorge and imagine just how far I would fall if I took a wrong step. I knew this stairway would slow me down, and it did. Not many steps into it, Shawn had caught up to me.

It was much too narrow for him to pass me, and I told him that I wouldn't mind backtracking the few steps I had taken so I wouldn't be in his way, but he told me not to. He got on the step behind me, held my hand, and told me it was okay. Then he slowly and calmly walked me up each individual step, reassuring me that I would not fall. And I did feel much more safe than when I had been trying to climb it alone.

We soon reached the top, and found ourselves resting on a bench at one end of a very long, wide bridge. The bridge itself is hard to describe. It was beautiful... It wasn't metal, nor was it stone. It almost seemed to be made of glass, but as high up as it was, I trusted it completely. The railing were solid pieces-- clear with frosty white designs.The floor of the bridge looked like cobblestone but was softer, like linoleum. Being on the bridge, I felt happy and somewhat relieved, though as amazing as the bridge was, the true focus was the enormous mall on the other side.

Shawn sat there and waited till I was ready to move on. After a few minutes I stood up and told him I was ready. He laughed and said the race was back on, then started slowly jogging across the bridge backwards so we could still chat "face to face." I started laughing and told him to go on ahead; we were going tot he same place, and I'd see him when I got there. He smiled, winked, then turned around and took off.

I was taking my time, not quite running-- more of a brisk walk-- and it didn't take long to reach the mall. Our race was continuing here, although the path wasn't very clear, and I had no idea what our goal was. The "flow" of the mall went in a circle, so you could literally run around it all day and never get anywhere.

I began my first lap around the mall. When I reached the food court, I heard Shawn laughing up ahead of me. I glanced up and saw that he had made some new friends. They were walking off the path toward a concession stand, where he then ordered a drink. It appeared to be a large iced lemonade. It did look good, but I kept going. Soon I reached the arcade. There were many games, but almost no one was actually playing them and all the demos were on. I walked up to the nearest machine and noticed the tray was full of quarters! I put a few in the machine and pressed play, and music started blaring. I was using it like a jukebox! The music videos were playing on the screen as well. I realized that all the machines had mimicked the one I turned on, so every machine in the arcade seemed to be playing a shuffled mix from my iPod. I started singing along as I continued running.

I began my second lap, and when I reached the food court again, Shawn was just starting his run again. We ran at about the same pace until we reached the arcade again. The music seemed to revitalize me. I checked the machine and it was full of quarters again! Even though the music hadn't stopped yet, I inserted more quarters anyways to insure it kept playing. Shawn was laughing at me, but I just started laughing, too.

We went around a few more times, with me refreshing quarters and him buying drinks. After a while, we each split off on our separate ways. We were each looking for something in a store, though it was unclear as to whether or not finding the item would make us win our race. I don't even know what he was looking for. All I know is that I was trying to find carpet with the perfect shade of green. There was a strange man pushing a shopping cart around the store, telling me that I must be lost. According to him, I must have lost my mother in the store somewhere, because I was much too young to be carpet shopping on my own yet. Clearly I wasn't as old as I claimed to be, he said.  I was to stick with him till we found my mother. I had to sneak away while he was looking at something, but I was sad because I hadn't found the carpet.

Giving up for now, I walked through the mall into a store with a bunch of beds until I saw mine. I crawled into bed and turned off the light, then closed my eyes and tried to get some sleep before morning. Before I could fall asleep (but just as I was getting comfortable) my husband's alarm started going off. The song that was on the radio was one that my hubby had been searching for a very long time to find, so we quickly jumped up, grabbed pen and paper, then hubby turned a dial on the front of the radio and actually rewound the song! All I wrote on the paper was:

Something in the Truck

I'm not sure if that was the title or just some lyrics, but it was enough for hubby. He then got up and got dressed for work (we were in our own house again), he kissed me good bye, then turned off his side lamp and went to the kitchen to get his coffee for his ride to work. A few minutes later, his alarm was going off again. I groaned, because I figured he had forgotten to turn his alarm off. But when I rolled over to turn it off, he was lying beside me in bed, rolling over as well, reaching for his alarm. I then realized I was awake, and had dreamed that he had already left for work. It was a very seamless transition however, with almost no clear "waking" point. I honestly don't know at what moment I was truly awake.

...am I awake right now?

*            *            *            *            *            *            *            *            *            *            *            *

What I think this means:

I think the race was to symbolize life. We could still talk to each other regardless of where we were, and we could easily see where we were all located on the mountain. I definitely believe that life is a hike, and you have to work your way through it. I was happy to see that I had found a nice easy path to take, and a minimal incline on a mountain means that it's a much longer path, so I'm assuming that means long life. The cliff side at the end scares me a bit though, because I'm not sure what it means. Obviously some hardship that I can't take on alone. I'm glad to see that I'll have someone to help me through it, whatever it may be. I don't know what would have happened if I had fallen into that gorge.

I think the amazing bridge must be death, and the proverbial "gates of heaven".  It was too beautiful to have described accurately, and I brushed over it in this description. It looked fragile but I knew it to be strong, it was immensely gorgeous and extremely functional. It didn't have a single flaw, and you could have moved mountains across it without scratching the surface. However, as amazing as it was, I could never seem to focus on it for more than a passing glance before my attention was directed back to the mall. Seems to me, the point of the bridge was nothing more than to get me to the mall, no matter how incredible it was... it's rude to linger in doorways, right? So I shouldn't have been focused on the bridge for too long anyways.

The mall, I don't know. I don't want to say it was Heaven, but everyone there was getting everything they wanted, unconditionally. I don't understand why we were still racing though, if life was over. Although neither of us seemed to win, and it was an endless loop that we were at the same place for and traveling together for most of.

Beyond that, I don't know what the rest was supposed to mean or why I dreamed it. Especially the strange guy who wouldnt let me do my carpet shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving a Techie Genius Con Artist

In this dream, the techie man I had been so in love with looked and sounded exactly like Alec Steele, the blacksmith. It was pretty amazing....